The history of The Green Hill House, began in 1774 when then Governor of Virginia,
Thomas Jefferson, granted 1200 acres of land along the Roanoke River in what was to
become Salem, Virginia to William Walton.
In 1776 Walton built the brick structure standing today with the remaining acreage making up the
modern Green Hill Park and surrounding community. Walton obtained an Inn license in 1782 to
capitalize on Salem’s popularity as a resting point on the way to the future Louisiana territories.
Thomas Jefferson himself is said to have stayed at Green Hill House several times during this period.
Robert Craig (1792-1852), a congressman from 1829 to 1841 married Walton’s daughter, Melinda, and gave the property its final name, Green Hill, prior to 1845 when he purchased the home from his father-in-law. Craig County, adjoining the area to the north, was named for Robert Craig for the contributions he made both in Congress and in his home district of Western Virginia.
Both Craig and Walton are interred in the family cemetery under the Walton family’s favored Black Walnut trees. The cemetery is considered a historic gravesite with a famous interment due to Craig’s active role in Congress.
The house has been continuously occupied since its construction. Additions were added when The Green Hill House functioned as the Green Hill Country Club from 1954 to 1974. The progressive Community School practiced in the house from 1974 to 1982. Since that time the house has been occupied by private owners and is now available for weddings, receptions, private parties and corporate events.